Saturday 10 November 2012

White-cut Chicken



A classic dish that is so easy to make and is much loved by pretty much everyone. It's definately a dish that I grew up eating.
The whole chicken is boiled/cooked in water and then chopped into small enough pieces so that you can pick a bit up with chopsticks. There are a few ways of making this; you can literally boil the chicken until it's cooked (my method), or cook the chicken for a short while and then switch off the heat and leave it to continue cooking, and I'm sure that there are a million and one other methods that people will continue to argue about...not forgetting the other ingredients that you may choose to add to the water. Because the chicken is quite plain, it is usually served with a side sauce of chopped ginger and spring onion or oyster sauce.


It is better that the chicken is slightly undercooked than you would usually cook it, but not raw; when it is chopped there should still be a hint of redness. Some people don't like that, but I don't mind!


In my opinion, this dip is by-far the best part of the dish. Red hot oil is poured onto the finely chopped ginger and spring onion, which slightly cooks the ingredients to give a wonderful flavour that compliments the chicken. For me, I could mix this sauce with boiled rice and I'd be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment